sitting the month


As a Chinese Canadian my whole life I have lived through a western ideal. However after speaking to many mommy's from both the western and the eastern culture and after many months of back and forth I decided to stay in my pj's for 30 days to do the eastern traditional "sitting the month" postnatal recovery. It was a decision that I made before baby Mason was born and now that I have been doing it for 2 weeks I am a little annoyed.

So what does an eastern post pregnancy recovery consist of? It defiantly is not easy, especially when I am a very active person and never believed in eastern practices or medicine (read this article as it paints a very detail picture of what the practice is like (http://www.npr.org/2011/07/20/138536998/for-chinese-moms-birth-means-30-days-in-pajamas). I never bought into all of those old wives tales about if you don't wear socks in the winter you will get headaches. I don't know what possessed me to buy into this whole recovery practice...probably because I've seen my cousins and Asian friends who have done it and they look better than ever. Being such a vain person this was the only reason that I decided to dedicate myself to this practice. 

Here are some of the pros and cons that I have seen while being on this recovery method in the first 2 weeks. 

The pros 
-My stomach has flatten dramatically and I have not needed to work out.
-I have an abundance amount of breast milk
-I have lots of energy 
-Living in PJs

The cons
-I am not allowed to leave the house for a whole month, it's only been 2 weeks and I'm bored out of my mind 
-I can't take a shower for a whole month only ginger sponge baths, which means I will stink (this only lasted 8 days and I totally gave up! I was so grossed out by myself I felt like a homeless person. No matter how good this could be for my recovery I was willing to let this one go) 
-Living in PJs

So far I haven't followed "sitting the month" step by step and it already feels like house arrest. Let's see how the next 2 weeks progress.
xoxo
P&P

You Might Also Like

0 COMMENTS

Thank you for your comment :)

xoxo
P&P